Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Two new posts in two days?!

Well I realized that I forgot some important things in my post yesterday so here we go again!!!

In America during summer the sound of music in the street causes children to go scampering to their parents for money so that they may stop the ice cream truck and purchase an icy melty treat for their enjoyment. So when I heard music here in the streets logically my heart leaped with the joyous memories of my childhood. As the music came closer I saw it was larger than a normal ice cream truck and not as colorful. When it passed so did a not so pleasant aroma and I realized...it was a garbage truck. In Taiwan the garbage trucks play music! What a wonderfully simply way to make trash less unappealing.

Oh. The movie was great last night! It was the first time I'd seen a Hollywood movie in IMAX form. Otherwise I'd only seen IMAX movies at the Science Museum of Minnesota. Every once in a while I got distracted by the Chinese subtitles. I was telling myself that I could totally learn Chinese and that it'd be awesome! But then I tried to learn some words from the students who came with us to the movie and reality came crashing in that it was completely different than anything that I know. 

At the McDonalds here in Taiwan they are doing a promotion. If you buy a meal and a fancy drink (which comes of to a total of $3USD) you get a glass cup celebrating the Olympics. Well my two lovely roommates Nicole and Julia have been brought in by this and have decided they need all six colors! Julia needs only two more and Nicole, who recruited her students to help her has the full set. I have one. Of course I tease them for coming all the way to Taiwan and eating at McDonalds several times a week. The truth is the cups are kind of cool. They are glass and as far as we know aren't in America! Its kind of a neat souvineer and McDonalds is cheaper here so why not?

Every morning for breakfast we go to Ed's. He and his wife have a lovely little shop off the street with tasty food. Because Ed was a flight attendant for China Airlines, he even knows English! He has made a point to learn our names. Even though some days he thinks we are all Ami or Kelly, the two blondes in our group. He recommends us tasty things such as a green onion pastry, cheese shortbread, and passion fruit juice with black tea. Its a great and positive start to our days.

With less than a week left its getting harder to squeeze all the things in that we want to do with our students and the touristy things as well. Today is the last day of actual class :( Tomorrow are our final performances! While rehearsing, I'm sharing with my students some of my favorite theatre warm ups for diction and energy. I'm so pleased with how hard they're working and it will certainly be entertaining to watch!

Well I don't think I forgot anything this time, but if I did you'll hear from me tomorrow!

B

P.S. I'm out of control excited for KTV (Karoake) tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment